Coronavirus: Swale Business Support
Coronavirus: Support for Swale businesses
On this page you can find details about coronavirus support for Swale businesses.
Government support for businesses is also available through their website.
Latest COVID-19 update
Businesses that have been forced to close or have been severely affected by the new restrictions put in place from the 5 November can apply for ONE of the following business grants from Swale Borough Council:
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) or
- Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG)
Businesses in rated commercial premises that have been required by law to close can get grants of between £1,334 and £3,000 to cover the 28-day period from 5 November 2020 per month through the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed).
Businesses that are severely affected by the new restrictions, but have not been required to close, could also receive one-off payments of between £1,334 and £3,000, through the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG). Businesses with or without rated commercial premises may also be eligible for this scheme, but prior to making an application we ask that all businesses read and follow the guidance that has been provided.
For full details and how to apply visit: swale.gov.uk/business-grants
We will be using the economic development e-bulletin to continue to provide updates about business support.
Please encourage contacts and other local businesses to sign up for the e-bulletin so that as many businesses as possible can be kept informed. If they would like to subscribe to receive the e-bulletin in their inbox, they just need to email email@example.com and we will add them to our mailing list.
We will also continue to provide regular updates through the Swale Borough Council website, the Swale Means Business website and the Council’s social media accounts.
The government has provided a range of guidance to help companies make their workplace safe:
- The government has set out 5 practical actions for working safely.
- There is a range of advice for different industries about working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Health and Safety Executive has also provided advice about how to carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment.
- The list of companies and premises to remain closed.
Business rates update
Swale Borough Council has clarified the extended retail discount for 2020/21.
The government has announced that the business rates revaluation will take place in 2021, to help reduce uncertainty. The government has published the full details on their 'business rates postponed' news story.
Business support schemes
The government has issued a range of financial support measures for businesses during coronavirus.
The Economic Development E-bulletin section of this website includes an archive of our previous updates which were sent by email.
Business support from other organisations
- The government's business support helpline is 0300 456 3565 between Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm;
- The Kent and Medway Growth Hub also has a Business Recovery Helpline where you can speak to an advisor. Their number is 03333 602300 which is open between Monday to Friday during office hours.
- The Federation of Small Businesses has advice on their website for small businesses and the self-employed.
- Swale's Council website also includes the latest updates about local services.
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has a helpline for any businesses and self-employed people concerned about paying their tax due to coronavirus (COVID-19). Up to 2,000 skilled call handlers are available to support businesses and individuals when needed. The number is 0800 0159 559 and further information is available on the HMRC website.
We would also be grateful if you could complete a survey to help inform future support and recovery plans. You can take part by completing the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - Business Support Form.
Last update: Wednesday 18 November 2020.