Brexit transition: new rules are here
The UK has left the EU and new rules for carrying out business started on 1 January 2021. The transition period ended on the 31 December so there may be actions which your business needs to take.
You can use the government’s transition checker tool to receive a personalised list of actions for your business:
The actions will help to ensure the continued flow of people, data, goods and services between the UK and EU. The actions required include:
- Preparing for new customs procedures if you sell goods to the EU.
- Checking if you need a visa or work permit and apply if necessary if you travel to the EU for work purposes.
- Preparing your business for the implementation of the new immigration system if you employ overseas nationals.
- You may need to take extra steps to ensure that data can continue to flow legally at the end of the transition period, if you are a UK business or organisation that receives personal data from contacts in the EEA.
- Ensuring that your qualifications are now recognised by EU regulations to be able to practice or service clients in the EU if you provide services in the EU.
The government has also said that they recognise that the impact Covid-19 has had on business’ ability to plan and prepare this year. There is support available including loans, grants, income support schemes and tax deferrals to support businesses through this period.
What other support is available?
The government website includes:
- A transition checker tool where businesses can get a personalised list of actions.
- A list of recent webinars from the government which you can watch for advice for specific industries.
- The latest news from the government.
- The border operating model explains how the border with the EU will work from the 1 January 2021.
- Register to receive the Business Readiness bulletin produced by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
There is also support available in Kent:
- The Kent County Council Brexit transition page includes practical advice and support, including webinars about trading goods with the EU.
- You can also speak to an advisor (03333 602300) at the Kent and Medway Growth Hub.
Last updated: 17 March 2021